It Hardly Matters

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Joy of Writing

Today in conference with my new writing mentor, I figured out that writing is like breaking open your skull and your chest and stabbing whatever's inside. Repeatedly. She didn't articulate this; I came up with it all by myself.

Being a writer is a mirthful blend of stress headaches, weeping fits, cable TV, and a dash of drinking alone. Oh, and we can't forget the constant self-flagellation, burgeoning narcissism, and pathetic praise-clamoring that occurs on a daily basis. Attractive.

Christmas is coming. I have to send cards. Buy gifts with my zero money. Be jolly. Decorate. Go to parties. Look fabulous. All that, and write. How can I possibly do both?

2 Comments:

  • Really like your blog, I'm inspired to start my own. My friend Craig thinks you're witty.
    -Moe

    By Blogger Commuter, at 9:00 AM  

  • You may have to go to parties, but you do not have to (actively try to) look fabulous, because you already are.

    Oh, and fuck sending Christmas cards.

    By Blogger spillah, at 3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home